Fulbright Austria is pleased to announce that it will grant an annual award for the best thesis in American studies. This award is based on an annual competition managed by the Austrian Association for American Studies. The Fulbright Prize is a means of acknowledging the enduring importance of American Studies and the role of innovative research by young academics in Austria in contributing to the fulfillment of the Fulbright Program’s mandate to promote mutual understanding between the peoples of Austria and the United States of America.
The purpose of this award is to recognize superior academic achievement in the field of American Studies (Amerikanistik) in the broadest sense of the word and hence includes all relevant ancillary disciplines and departments at Austrian universities (e.g., comparative literature, history, political science, sociology, etc.) There are no specific topical or methodological limitations on submissions. Students who completed a master’s thesis or a doctoral thesis in relevant disciplines at Austrian universities in the 2022–23 academic year are encouraged to apply.
- One (€1000) prize or two (€750 each) prizes will be awarded depending on the decision of the review panel.
- Master’s theses and doctoral theses are eligible.
- The thesis must have been completed at an Austrian university in the 2022–23 academic year (submitted between October 2022–November 2023)
- Supervisors/advisors and students may submit applications.
- Theses submitted for last year’s Fulbright Prize may not be re-submitted.
Applications for this award consisting of a short cover letter (in the body of the email) stating why the work is prize-worthy and a copy of the thesis (as an attached PDF document or a link to a publicly accessible file) should be sent to:
Prof. Dr. Alexandra Ganser
Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik
Spitalgasse 2-4/Hof 8.3
The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2024.
A committee will review applications, have the work of semi-finalists subject to external review, and nominate a finalist. The winner(s) of the Fulbright Prize in American Studies will be announced at the next AAAS meeting.